Monday, August 16, 2010

My Review Of Mozy Home Online Computer Backup Program - Archived Blog - 2010-0509

Updated - August 26, 2010
(Update - August 28, 2010 - Coming Soon!!! My Review of the new and improved Mozy Version 2. I'll add a link here once I complete the review page... complete with LOTS of screen shots of every step involved in setting up Mozy and doing your first backup.)

Get Mozy Home for FREE here, with BONUS online backup storage. When you get to the main page, click on Products, then Mozy Home, then click Download button or on the left side, next to the FREE sign, click "Learn More" or the "Try It Free" button. Any of those steps will get you the FREE Mozy Home version with the BONUS 0.25 GB's of online backup storage. While the UNLIMITED online backup storage is only $4.95 a month, the FREE 2.0 GB's of online backup storage becomes 2.25 GB's by clicking this link... enough storage for thousands of pictures, music and other backup of your important files.  If you have any trouble signing up for the FREE MozyHome version, just send me an email or IM me at my IM addresses to the left and I'll help walk you through thr process and getting you set up with your first backup.  Mozy also has user forums if you'd rather go that route.

Based on an email from a fellow member of the Outlook-Users Yahoo Group, I replied with a rather long reply about Mozy and it ended up being more of a review so here it is...

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven T
Sent: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 12:04 PM
To: LNVTM1 - Lenny Vasbinder
Subject: FW: Outlook 2007 with Business Contact Manager - email issue - OFFLIST

Lenny

I want to ask you about the "Mozy" add you have in your mails. I am not interested in how online backup works, only online restore ;>) What is your experience with restore from them? At what speed etc....


TIA

Steven T

AND MY LONG REPLY/REVIEW:

-----Original Message-----
From: LNVTM1 - Lenny Vasbinder
Sent: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 2:01 PM
To: 'Steven Teiger'
Subject: RE: Outlook 2007 with Business Contact Manager - email issue - OFFLIST

I've only had to use the restore a couple of times over the past several years that I've been using Mozy (I was involved in the initial Beta testing).

Most recently, I had to restore my Favorites folder in IE8 (currently 10.3MB, 2,662 files, 332 folders). I started using XMarks a few weeks ago, to synch my Favorites folder for IE8 and FF on my laptop and desktop so they would all have the same Favorites/Bookmarks and when I first did the XMarks synching, it (or rather I) completely messed them up... and I mean a major SNAFU, mostly due my not setting XMarks properly or rather not understanding the instructions properly.

Fortunately, I had my Mozy online backup of my Favorites folder on my desktop computer, which was done about an hour before I did the XMarks installation and fouled up the sync so bad. I uninstalled XMarks on both computers, emptied my Favorites folder on my desktop and then used Mozy to restore it. Mozy actually keeps several *copies* of backups... kind of like restore points... so you can choose which date/time you want to restore to. It didn't take long... maybe 10 minutes or so... I didn't time it but it wasn't long. I have over 2,500 URL's saved and well organized in my Favorites folder and all of it's sub and sub-sub folders.

As far as the speed, it depends on your own internet speed and what else you are running. If you shut down all other programs that might be using up internet bandwidth, then Mozy will be MUCH faster and I'm pretty sure it will download the restore as fast as your bandwidth and computer can handle. I've NEVER seen any slowdowns related to Mozy servers... only my own bandwidth limitations, especially if I have all three of my computers working on the internet on my DSL line.

Of course, uploading the initial backup and even my twice daily scheduled backups takes much longer than a restore since most internet access has much slower upload speed than download speed. My average online backup on my main computer takes about an hour or two, depending on how many new files I've added. I use the scheduled backup, rather than the constant backup, so I can have each of my computers backing up at different times so I do not see as much slow-down in my internet speed. If all three computers were backing up at the same time, I see a BIG slowdown in my internet service since Mozy would be using so much of my upload bandwidth.

Mozy also uses a moderate amount of system resources during the Backup process on my two oldest computers... one with only 384MB of RAM and the other with 768MB of RAM. I do not notice any slowdown on my newest Vista-HP laptop with 3Gigs of RAM.

Folks get 2Gigs of FREE backup if they sign up at Mozy.com or if someone signs up using my referral link, in my sig, they actually get an added .25Gigs (256MB). I know 2Gigs or 2.25Gigs isn't a lot of storage but it's usually more than enough for most of the people that I've helped install the free version, as long as they pick and choose which files/folders to back up. I actually only use up around 6Gigs of backup on my main computer, just to backup My Documents folder, my active PST file and certain other folders (like Favorites). I use an external HD to do weekly backups and clones of all three of my computers for major issues and just use Mozy for backing up my most active files/folders. Once you are a Mozy user, you can get your own referral code and get extra storage each time one of your friends or referrals sign up for the FREE MozyHome 2.25GB service... or if they decide to sign up for the $4.95/mo. unlimited service.

Sorry.. I didn't mean to write an entire review of the program but I really like it and think everyone should have at least the free version of Mozy to back up their most important files, photos, etc. I've read so many horror stories online and with helping my friends with their own computer problems.

I might have to use this for a blog article about Mozy. LOL

Lenny Vasbinder

FREE and automatic online remote backup of your documents, photos and files...
https://mozy.com/?ref=46UUG1 Check out how simple and secure it can be to use the Mozy remote backup system. Mozy will back up your most important files and folders every day/night while you aren't using your computer.


-----------

You can click on the Comments link below to open the Comments section to leave your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Please Consider A Donation If This Site Was Helpful OR Pay By Google Checkout OR Pay By PayPal

NHSNOLA@Gmail.com/Neighborhood Home Services Is My PayPal Account

Emsisoft a-Squared AntiMalware Online Scan

Secunia OSI - Online Software Inspector - Scan for outdated software on your computer.

If the "Scan PC" button isn't showing, scroll down on the right of this Secunia OSI section OR click this link... http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/

FlagCounter Added August 22, 2010

free counters

Followers